Preparation time: 2, 1/2 hours Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients Required for vada:
- Urad dal – 1 cup, minimum soak for 2 hours.
- Pearl onion – 3, chop finely
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves or cilantro – as desired, chop them
- Salt to taste
- Frying oil
After 2 hours drain the water and grind the soaked urad dal with small amount of water. (Do not add more water). Just add little, grind then add little likewise until gets smooth and fluffy and thick batter. It takes approximately 15 minutes. Keep aside (do not add salt immediately, it oozes some water)
Tip – How to check whether the batter is ground perfect👌🏻? Wet your fingers take some amount of batter, if the batter won’t stay in your finger, and looks fluffy and smooth then, that’s the correct consistency.
you can skip adding onions and you can add crushed black pepper.👇🏻
Method of Methu Vada:
- Heat Frying oil in a heavy bottom pan over a medium flame. Meanwhile add salt, cumin seeds and curry leaves in to the rest of the vada batter. Mix well, take a water in another bowl.
- Now wet your right hand, before fry check whether the oil is heated or not use with batter(refer the pic), if the batter immediately comes up from the bottom,the oil is heated.And then take some amount of batter and then drop (make like a small ball) into the heated oil. Fry the balls (vada) both sides until golden crisp, Another Method take some batter and make a hole at center and drop it into the hot oil.Note: do not fry in a high flame.
- Follow the same method for rest of the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with wonderful Tea or Coffee to your lovable family.
- Also try Moong dal sambar Vada & Thayir vadai
Picture Perfect Steps: